Karnataka style Badnekayi alugadde palya | Brinjal curry
Karnataka style Badanekayi alugadde palya, Delightful, tasty and easy south indian recipe. This recipe is done in malenadu. They slow cook to delicious curry. Can be served with akki rotti, kadabu, chapathi, dosa or even idli. Isn’t it great to learn this recipe and enjoy.
A Best side dish prepared by long white brinjal. Lets see how to make Badnekayi palya. A Must try south indian recipe.
- Oil- 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Turmeric – 1/3 tsp
- Onion – 1 small no
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Tamarind juice – 2-3 tsp
- White brinjal – 3 nos(cut into 1inch pieces)
- Potato – roughly chopped 1 or 2(I have used 1 here)
- Jaggery – ½ tsp
- Freshly grated Coconut – 4 tbsp
- Handful of Coriander leaves
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves
- Sambar powder – 2tbsp
- Onion – ½ roughly chopped
- First, grind the masala paste with ingredients as mentioned above and keep it aside.
- Now heat a cooker with oil, add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Add in cumin seeds/ jeerige, curry leaves and asafetida.
- Add onion, turmeric and pinch of salt so that they help onion to cook down and brown up a little bit faster.
- Now add in grinded masala and little water, saute for 2-minutes.
- Then add potato and saute for a minute. Later add in brinjal (Adding brinjal after potato because brinjal gets cooked soon).
- Saute it for about 2minutes and add half cup water, tamarind juice, jaggery and salt.
- Combine and saute the ingredients well and simmer until the masalas are well incorporated into the badanekayi(brinjal) and potato.
- Add half cup of water(if needed) and mix it well and close the lid.
- Pressure cook for one whistle.
- After pressure is released, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with chapathi, idli, dosa, akki rotti. Don’t forget to add in ghee and enjoy 🙂
- I have skipped tomato in this recipe. Tamarind juice is enough. It does the job.
- In native they slow cook brinjal n potato in a thick bottom pan. Here we pressure cook for one whistle.
- You can add water as per ur consistency. Important Tip is, It shouldn’t be thick before we pressure cook. Later it becomes mushy.